Qualification tests of composite materials
We have a high potential in the field of testing composite materials – we perform comprehensive testing of composite materials, also intended for aviation structures. Tests are performed using modern testing equipment in accordance with international standards. We have PCA and NADCAP accreditation in the field of testing non-metallic materials.
We offer the following services:
- qualification tests of composite materials;
- component-level damage tolerance assessment;
- static and fatigue tests, maximum load up to 250 kN;
- testing at temperatures from -130°C to 315°C;
- digital image correlation, the use of strain gauges and extensometers;
- testing using standardized instrumentation as well as designing and manufacturing testing instruments tailored to the individual needs of Customers;
- impact resistance testing, simulated energy range from 0.59 J to 1800 J;
- thermal analysis of composite materials DMA, DSC, TGA, FTIR;
- sample preparation – cutting, grinding, drilling, gluing, conditioning
Testing of material properties:
- interlayer shearing,
- three-point bending,
- stretching a sample with a hole,
- squeezing a sample with a hole,
- squeezing after impact.
Knuckle joint connections tests:
Testing of adhesives:
- shear strength,
- peel strength.
Testing of fillers and sandwich structures:
- filler shear,
- tearing the spacer,
- beam bending.
- impact strength,
- impact resistance.
Physical and chemical tests:
- thermal analysis of composite materials:
- determination of the glass (transition) temperature according to the following standards:
- ASTM E1640,
- ASTM D7028;
- enthalpy of melting and crystallization of polymers according to ASTM D3418;
- thermal expansion test according to ASTM E228 standard;
- thermogravimetric analysis according to ASTM E1131 standard;
- testing of untoughened pre-impregnate (gel time, resin flow, resin content);
- fiber content test according to ASTM D3171 standard.
- dynamic thermomechanical analyzer Perkin Elmer DMA 8000:
- determination of the glass (transition) temperature
- temperature range: -180°C ÷ 400°C,
- the ability to measure mechanical and viscoelastic properties;
- differential scanning calorimetry DSC:
- phase transition analysis;
- determination of specific heat;
- glass (transition) temperature;
- study of resin cross-linking processes;
- the subjects of the test are:
- organic and inorganic compounds,
- minerals or samples of natural origin.
- TGA thermogravimetric analysis:
- identification of the tested material,
- analysis of its composition,
- determination of filler content and other additives,
- determination of thermal stability of such materials as:
- organic and inorganic compounds,
- samples of natural origin;
- FTIR spectrophotometry:
- determining the chemical composition of the tested material;
- Anter UNITHERMTM 1000 dilatometer:
- thermal expansion test,
- temperature range: -196°C ÷ 1100°C.
Non-destructive testing and quality control processes
All technological works are subject to quality control. This process includes verification of documentation and materials, supervision over the production cycle and inspection of the product. The scope of quality control is adjusted each time to the specificity of the work performed.
The scope of our services:
- ultrasonic testing of composite structures using the phased array technique (C-scan), conventional;
- low-frequency testing of composite structures using bond testing (C-scan), tap testing (woodpecker, hammer);
- thermographic studies of composite structures (active thermography);
- visual inspection of composite structures;
- microscopic measurement of porosity;
- comprehensive development of methodologies for non-destructive testing of composite structures;
- calibration plates design;
- detection of defects such as delaminations, cracks, porosity, foreign bodies.
- Olympus OmniScan MX Flaw Detector:
- detection of defects in monolithic composite samples,
- main unit with two test modules Phased Array 128:32 I UT 2C;
- Olympus BondMaster:
- detection of defects in sandwich structures,
- pitch-catch method,
- resonant method,
- acoustic impedance method;
- KIMLA BPF2070 CNC plotter – working area: 7 x 2 x 0.5 m;
- furnace designed for hardening and post-hardening of composite structures, dimensions:
- 10 x 2.4 x 2 m,
- maximum operating temperature 200°C;
- precise furnace for hardening test pieces;
- climatic chamber:
- capacity: 280 l,
- dimensions: 720 x 690 x 560 mm,
- temperature range: from -50°C to + 180°C.
- temperature range including humidity: from 10°C to + 95°C.
- relative humidity range: from 10% to 98%;
- universal milling machine:
- work area: 1320 x 320 mm,
- position reading in 3 axes,
- feed: 20 – 360 mm/min,
- speed of rotation: 58 – 1800 rpm;
- surface grinder:
- work area: 250 x 600 mm,
- max grinding length: 600 mm;
- minimum feed: 0.001,
- maximum feed: 0.06,
- speed of a spindle: 2900 rpm.