It is the basis for the implementation of other non-destructive tests, it consists in the direct detection and assessment of discontinuities on the surface of the tested object.
Visual tests can be divided into:
- direct tests,
- tests enabling the analysis of directly accessible surfaces with the unaided eye
- tests with the use of microscopes, and
- indirect – optical tests, allowing for the verification of surfaces that are directly inaccessible with the use of devices such as endoscopes, videoscopes or borescopes.
This method enables the detection of large surface discontinuities and shape defects of the tested object.
Visual method – testing capabilities
- surface defects detection;
- types of detected discontinuities:
- fatigue cracks,
- heat treatment cracks,
- operational damage,
- welded connections;
- endoscopy and borescopy – detecting defects in an inaccessible place.
Visual method – equipment
- Olympus fiberscopic system,
- Everest borescope system.