The oldest method of non-destructive testing used to verify both metallic and non-metallic materials. Penetration testing is based on the capillary phenomenon – penetration of the penetrant into very narrow, also hard-to-reach spaces, also against the law of gravity. A very effective and universal method useful for detecting surface defects in materials.
Penetration method – testing capabilities
- Testing of surface discontinuities of non-porous materials (metallic and non-metallic):
- steel and its alloys,
- non-ferrous metals,
- ceramics, glass,
- types of detected discontinuities:
- cracks (e.g. fatigue, grinding),
- corrosion (point, surface),
Penetration method – equipment
- Magnaflux penetration kits,
- UV and white light illuminators,
- UV light and intensity meters.