Hybrid drive testing
In June 2023, the hybrid drive laboratory was launched, made up of an electric engine roller dynamometer and a piston engine roller dynamometer.
At Łukasiewicz Institute of Aviation it is the first test station for hybrid drives for aviation applications that meets R&D needs of the aviation market.
Hybrid drive roller dynamometer
The station is equipped with a battery simulator with the following main parameters:
- simulator power supply 3×400 V AC,
- continuous power 80 kW,
- instantaneous power 120 kW (60 sec.),
- output voltage adjustable 24-800V DC,
- rated current +/- (bidirectional) 267 A,
- peak current + / – (bidirectional) 400 A,
- rapid prototyping of the required energy storage capacity
and conducting long-term tests with DC voltage.
Liquid cooling of motors/inverters
- Water cooler #1 – maximum heat capacity 5 kW,
- Water cooler #2 – maximum heat capacity 10 kW,
- Water cooler # 3 – maximum heat capacity 30 kW.
Parameters of the tested generator in serial hybrid setup (internal combustion engine + energy storage charging generator)
- Maximum electrical power returned to the grid – 80 kW (peak 120 kW – – battery simulator constraints,
- maximum torque 100 Nm, maximum speed 12,000 rpm/ min or maximum torque 500 Nm, maximum speed 7,000 rpm/ min (depending on the torque meter installed).
Parameters of the tested electric motor in parallel hybrid setup (internal combustion engine + load driving electric motor)
- The maximum total power of a hybrid drive: 200 kW,
- The maximum power of an electric motor powered by a battery simulator: 80 kW,
- Maximum speed 6000 rpm/ min,
- Maximum torque 700 Nm,
- The drive is loaded with an eddy current brake.
- The team designs dedicated test platform for the customer’s needs.
- Consulting on the selection of hybrid and electric drive components (internal combustion engine, electric motor, electric generator, inverters, energy storage cells) and measuring sensors.